Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Rebuild Begins

Hi, I am Friscoboater, or YouTube user friscojarretts, and this blog follows my restoration of my 1995 Sea Ray that I bought on December 27th 2010. Please ignore the post dates until January of 2012 as I copied all the posts from boats.com to make this blog. 




Since boats are never done, make sure and check back here for updates, as I am always buying stuff for this boat. Plus we will have some great Action videos from time to time. 

There are tons of youtube videos embedded throughout this blog, and they really help add to the story. 

Please feel free to comment, as I encourage it.

Soooo... Lets get this started

Ok... it all starts on January 1st 2011.


Well here we go again. This time, the restoration is not voluntary. Let me bring everyone up to speed.

In November of 2010 the wife and I started looking for a bigger boat to handle the whole family. We looked at at lease 20 to 30 boats all over a 100 mile radius here in Texas. One night I was searching on the internet and found a gorgeous Sea Ray in South Carolina. I spent alot of time discussing this boat with the owner and exchanging emails and pictures. He had the deck replaced 2 years ago and had it gelcoated to seal it up, and had the exterior gelcoated also. This thing was awesome so we decided to drive out a pick the boat up.

What I did not know is that the new deck was installed over rotten stringers. When I was cleaning her out after our trip I discovered a soft spot in the far port corner of the deck where previously there were a pack of life jackets were sitting during the lake trial. What had happened is that the rotten stringers we wicking up to the new deck and rotting it out. They did not even seal it with resin or fiberglass and used sheetrock screws to hold it down. 

So anyway I paid for a lake ready boat, not a boat that needed $3000 worth of work. Now I must restore it just to be able to recoup some of my investment. I will make it better than new, and hopefully enjoy it for years.

I have to say I am scared to death. 


So here are my objectives.

1. Replace all wood that is in the boat.
2. When replacing the deck I want to somehow slant it toward the middle to shed water toward the bilge.
3. All carpet will be gone. It just holds moisture.
4. I would like to gel coat the deck this time, and in white
5. Come up with a drain system for the deck.

I am sure there is more


I will keep you guys updated with pictures and video as I go along just like I did with the Glastron.

Well here she is


Sure looks pretty on the outside


This is what I felt when I stepped on the deck once we got back. It was below freezing when we bought the boat, and the deck was frozen





8 comments:


  1. Write a great blog! I like the blog because it offers a lot of content, can continue to share and maintain a good job
    Click Here : farm tractors for sale/tractor-260-60-hp-turbo

    ReplyDelete
  2. very great job!! im starting on my baja 188 isander...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love all of this...Well done!!! But where are you now? You sold this and got into WHAT?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello I appreciate this. I recently bought a 93 Sea Ray 200 Bowrider. First boat. Runs awesome but underneath is completely water logged and needs stringers and allot of work. Ill be popping up the floors as soon as I can. Hopefully I can get this done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you have the name of the item that you purchase to seal the floor on the boat

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just came across this and i am very grateful for being able to see what to do. I have just bought the exact same boat and its very rotten in the same areas as yours.
    All looks good until you start pulling the deck up

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for doing this. i just bought the identical boat and the floor is worse than yours. i will be watching the videos carefully

    ReplyDelete
  8. YOU ARE NO DOUBT THE GOAT, THE BOAT GOAT!!! YOU FIXED THAT BOAT WAY BETTER THAN IT WAS WHEN IT CAME OFF OF THE ASSEMBLY LINE! I HAVE NEVER SEEN A SAFER BOAT IN MY ENTIRE LIFE. I WISHED YOU LIVED UP HERE IN THE BAY AREA SO I COULD HIRE YOU TO HELP ME GET MY BOAT ON THE WATER. TAKE CARE BROTHER. MYRICK FREEZE GUILLORY

    ReplyDelete